Thursday, May 31, 2012

Be Beautiful ...


"Every day is so wonderful
And suddenly it's hard to breathe
Now and then I get insecure
From all the pain, feel so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring me down, oh no
So don't you bring me down today"


Eight years ago, the word Beautiful … became much more to me … it became synonymous with the word Bully.  I remember this day … a funeral for my daughter's friend … she was bullied and had taken her own life … at such a young age … The song “Beautiful” was playing at the service, and my daughter was openly weeping … it truly was the worst of times.

So my B word is Beautiful … and I have a second B for you … Bully.

And once again, I have to sit and wonder what the heck is wrong with our society.  Why do we openly worship some of the worst people … just watch almost any reality TV show to realize that some of the meanest people come out on top …

Hockey parents … or parents with kids in very competitive activities … they can be so mean, hurling insults at not only each other, but at the children who are engaged in the activity. 

The internet ... harsh words and accusations can fly from such young minds ... and where are the parents who should be monitoring what their kids do and say on line.


So I am asking you all, be beautiful … love yourself, try to love others, do no harm… 
Teach your children and their children, teach your friends and your neighbours and coworkers ...


"'Cause we are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words won't bring us down, oh no
We are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring us down, oh no
So don't you bring me down today"

Check out the song if you want, Lyrics by Linda Perry, Performed by Christina Aguilera, and click on the Jenny button below to read some fascinating takes on the letter B ...

Jenny Matlock

17 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I feel so sad and sorry that your daughter's friend was distressed enough to end her life because of bullying, Jo!

Bullying is such a scourge in society these days. I really hope that more will be done through parenting and schools to educate children that they do not have to tolerate it, and that the bullies should be stopped.

Judie said...

Jo, my sweet friend, this is such a special and thoughtful post--exactly what would expect from you. YOU are beautiful in every way!!!

anitamombanita said...

It's a great song. I have a friend whose 12 year old nephew just committed suicide. He was a victim of bullying. How does that happen than an innocent 12 year old is tormented enough to want to take his life? It just makes me ill.

lissa said...

good message but not everyone can get it. it's good to know not everyone's a bully.

hope you have sweet day.

Lynn Stevens said...

What a terrible thing your daughter had to experience. To lose a friend so young and from such a senseless reason. I'm so sorry Jo. Parents really need to step up to the plate.
Such a beautiful song. TFS.
hugs Lynn

VBR said...

my heart hurts for your daughter's friend, her family and for your precious girl too. this issue of bullying is disgusting. when someone writes a post like this, it is one way to say "STOP! The bullying STOPS here"

thank you for sharing this with us.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

BULLYING is one of the worst things people do to others. I teach women's studies and discuss this with my students, many of whom have been through it.
BLESSINGS to BEAUTIFUL YOU for spreading the word!
Coralie

Izzy said...

You Are an amazing and beautiful person. Wonderful blog post.

Jim said...

Hi Jo ~~ This is a great post about a terrible thing that goes on. I am sorry for your friend too, I know she took it really hard.

I was terrifyed in high school by a football player kid. He beat me up in the rest room. I never knew why but I avoided him from then out for the rest of my senior year. I was new to this school the year before.

Thank you for peeking in on my "B" word, 'backyard,' yesterday. I am sorry to be just now returning your comment.
..

Annesphamily said...

Political correctness in our society allows bully's to bully! We see politicians cheat on their wives and America applauds them! People watch reality T.V. and cheer for the bully! It is sick, sad and disgusting! Right before the end of the school year a boy Nick knew from seeing him in the hallways at school committed suicide. Of course, he had been bullied! Until the law makes these people pay for their crime it will continue. I think bullying starts in the home. It is so sad. I went to Catholic school. In my day no one uttered an unkind word about anyone or else! If the nun beat you with her yard stick, metal tipped ruler or other assorted weapons of choice no one told their parents! We were kids, we were not ignorant! We did not wish to be beat twice in one day! Today you can't tell kids what to do! You might hurt their feelings and go to jail! Society is backward! Until these bullies are punished to the full extent of the law this will continue.
I am very sorry for the loss of your daughters friend. Suicide is the most incomprehensible thing! I posted a bunch of quotes about bullying on my Face Book page a while back. I got so many responses from people!
Your post touched a nerve and I was never bullied at school! It was just not allowed. But I have seen my own kids struggle with seeing this horror occur all around them.
Sad as it is this post needed to be written.
Thanks Jo!
I hope your weekend is stress free.

Gattina said...

The worst is that bullying moved into all western countries ! It's not a phenomomena of one single country !

Naperville Now said...

amen. and thanks for the kind comments.

The Poet said...

Dear Jo,
Teaching what is right from wrong all begins in the home and from an early age. We must teach our children to have respect, patience and understanding for everyone regardless of their color, creed, shape, size or riches. When all is said and done, we are all one because we bleed the same. A very thought-provoking post from you. Thanks for sharing & visiting.

Before Every Listening Ear

Splendid Little Stars said...

very poignant.
How tragic that there are those who allow this behavior to exist or even foster it.
I am sad for your daughter and all those who loved this girl.
a beautiful piece of writing on this subject. Thanks for sharing.

KDL said...

Thanks for writing this. It is an important topic to me as a mom of young children. I hope to teach them to be strong for themselves and kind to others.

Jenny said...

Jo. This made me shiver. Gosh. What powerful words.

Instant media seems to breed bullies, doesn't it? Do people use that to spread kindness?

The world is getting uglier...I think that's why we all need a small community of people who have kind hearts to lift us up.

Sadly, though, kind words never leave the impact of mean ones.

Thank you for this thought provoking post.

My heart weeps for the children who are attacked.

Hugs and A+

Ames said...

Oh Jo this is so sad. I would be weeping openly too. I think bully's should be banned from schools. First time is a warning....second time you are out. And parents need to grasp their childrn's rearing and take it seriously. Most bully's are latch key kids too. So sorry to hear this entire story.~Ames