Monday, February 10, 2014

3 little houses ...

A big hello to you!  
for some reason, I have been thinking about houses and homes since the beginning of the year ... I have kind of made an informal plan to focus a lot of my art work around the them of houses this year.  I was thrilled when my brother cut me several, like many, little houses from scrap wood.

I have taken three of the houses with very short roofs and worked on them for a week or so ... finally they are finished ... well almost, i still need to sign them and finish the bottoms.


3 little homes, free hand cut by my brother.   The roofs have varied pitches ... each roof has a thick layer of texture paste, i used a dry brush to apple the paste and created a lumpy shingle look.  I mixed up black paint with a pear green paint to achieve a mottled black colour.  I also lightly swiped parts of the roof with green, then quickly wiped it off ... just to make them look a little dirty.

Each house was covered with gesso, white paint, tan paint and vintage paper in varying layers.  The windows and doors are cut freehand from illustrations from a vintage french encyclopedia ...



I actually love the way they turned out ... you can still see the grain of the wood through them which allows them to maintain a very natural feel despite the treatment given to them. I hope you have enjoyed them as well.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
peace, love and paper
jo

15 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Jo! What fabulous little house! They are full of vintage goodness!

Anonymous said...

There is a lovely whimsical nature to your houses, I find them to be most adorable.
Wishes
Lynne

Tanya said...

LOVE these - love that they were all cut free-hand, too...absolutely adorable!

Terry said...

Oh Jo, I love these houses you are building! How creative you are! Our weather is fine, it was my daughter's weather that took a hard hit and I had to cancel. Hope you are having decent weather!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Those are just so interesting and wonderful! Love them!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!!! These are amazing!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee them!!!!!!!!

Daniella said...

Your houses came out awesome!! I love the texture and the dimension on the roof! Very well done!!
Thanks for visiting me today!
xxDaniella

CatieAn said...

I love these houses....what a great idea to pick a theme for the year and work around that.

Izzy said...

Love the houses! they are so über cool!

Mona Pendleton said...

What fun little houses!

Wendy said...

they are wonderful! What a fab idea

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

These are fab Jo!
enJOY a sweet today,
Kimberly

Patty Antle said...

I love your houses, Jo. I would like to learn to work with gesso. It's just something I haven't tried yet. Thank you for the visits to my blog and sweet comments. I'm your newest follower! I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW!!! These are perfect for my mantle...lol! Love your little houses!

Lynn Stevens said...

oh my gosh you have been a busy gal, just took a stroll through your blog, Steller work Jo
Hugs Lynn