Friday, November 5, 2010

Today ...

over at the Inspired Scrapper ... I posted this layout for the "Using Imperfect Photos Challenge" ... go on and take a look at the challenge ... there are also wonderful layouts by Susan Tutt and Erica Perkins.

This is the first layout i have enjoyed making in a few weeks ... my last two projects, a mini album and a card, just didn't turn out the way i wanted so i have been in a bit of a scrapping funk, but more on that another day ... well maybe another day.

This layout was pure play ... i used very old patterned paper ... and random older bits like Heidi Swapp clear stars, Bazzill chipboard stars and an Imaginisce brad.   I also used some new bits like the Tim Holtz word and button, the Maya Road star pin and the vintage images from Crafty Secrets.  I even used a broken bling bracelet.

I used some of the Claudine Helmuth stick backed canvas to create a second background ... i sprayed it with a purple, pink and grey glimmer mist and let it dry.  after it dried i ran through the big shot with embossing plates ... then i ran an ink pad over the embossed areas and ended up with something all my own ... this also served a dual purpose as there was a Pegasus on the patterned paper that just wasn't quite right for the theme and i needed to cover it up.

The chipboard stars were fun to make.  I ran the stars through the same embossing plate, then i inked them with gold, and heat embossed them with a iridescent powder.

i also used a bit of tulle behind the photo just to give the layout a little bit of a hazy/diffused area.  I changed the colour of the title letters using .....  and finally i coloured the chipboard gears with two shades of the glimmer glam ... it was fun to just play with techniques and relax ... especially after my recent scrapping disasters.

So peeps, haul out a bad photo, go visit The Inspired Scrapper, and give yourself time to play with techniques this weekend.


Peace, Love & Paper ~ Jo

11 comments:

Annesphamily said...

This is an amazing photo. I love how you worked the bad photo into a piece of beautiful art. Anne

Lois aka katesmum said...

oh Jo... you are a genius... see why I love your blog so much!!!

Lynn Stevens said...

AWesome layout Jo, Love the grungy stars and gears!

Judie said...

OMG! I love this! Where do you sell? Can I put this on my blog with a link to your site?

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I'm lovin' this...great ideas! Thank you for sharing!

laterg8r said...

super funky and cool :D

love that title :D

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Beautiful work! It's hard to tell that is a "bad photo" I love the little girl sitting on the moon.

Izzy said...

Love the layout and congrats on the feature at rogue artist for this layout! WTG

Charmingdesigns said...

I've been catching up on your blog. It is quite wonderful, love your Mona Lisa!

Unknown said...

this rocks...plain and simple and the theme is hilarious!

Kathy said...

Stunning Jo! You are a true artist through and through. I love all the playfulness in this layout! And that photo...looks like you did that on purpose to match your layout girl!